To create policy changes, it takes the efforts of many people coming together and sharing what is happening in their community. Often, CALCASA will ask our membership and the general public to call and write letters to their local/state representatives, asking for a specific policy request. When CALCASA has a “take action” campaign, we will list links below about what policy steps you can take to help support ending violence against women.


ACTION ALERT – 6/20/2017 Ask California Assembly Members to Support Funding for the Prevention of Sexual Violence and Domestic Violence

We encourage you to call your Assembly Member and send an email in support of AB 1268, a bill that would establish a state fund specifically for preventing sexual violence and domestic violence.

As you know, prevention and education are key components to ending gender-based violence. AB 1268 (Reyes) would establish a fund specifically to provide resources so evidence-based and theory-driven practices could be implemented to prevent sexual violence, domestic violence, and other forms of gender-based violence in California.
These funds would be available through a grant program administered by the California Office of Emergency Services and developed in collaboration with prevention experts in sexual assault and domestic violence at a minimum level of $250,000 over three years.
Assemblywoman Eloise Gómez Reyes (D-47) introduced AB 1268 in response to the horrific tragedy that took place on April 10, 2017 when Cedric Anderson shot and killed his wife, Karen Elaine Smith, and 8 year-old student, Jonathan Martinez, and injured another student at a San Bernardino elementary school. Anderson’s record shows allegations of domestic violence that go back 30 years.
AB 1268 passed out of the Assembly and next month, the legislation will be voted on in the Senate Public Safety Committee.
If you have any questions or feedback regarding AB 1268, please contact CALCASA’s Public Policy Associate, Kristina Solberg. Email: [email protected] Phone: (916) 446-2520 ext. 310